Friday, March 9, 2018

Mine


Today I was relishing waking slowly to a fresh cup of tea. But as I stared out the window at two nesting bluebirds, my husband stepped into view and motioned for me to come outside. This may have been great if he had not been holding a rake. Grumbling, I placed my tea cup on the table, dawned my jacket, and joined him in his goal to get a particular task done before he left for work. Now, I’m sitting with a new cup of tea. He pulled out of the driveway a few moments ago.

Then I read the passage in today’s scripture readings, “to love your neighbor as yourself is worth more than burnt offerings and sacrifice.” Although I did go out and help, I believe I failed the “love as yourself” test. I switch between moments poorly, especially when I have a comfort moment in process. Yet, I did go and help. God smiled at this. And He is smiling, still, as I realize that these tiny, micro-moments add up and are sometimes harder to achieve than stepping up to help with the soup kitchen.

So, the next time a loved one calls for help, what shall I do? My hope is that I will see God smile, and return my own to Him. 

And ‘to love Him with all your heart, with all your understanding, with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself’ is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices. – Mark 12:33

No comments:

Post a Comment